Wow! Talk about happy accidents!
I had been shopping for one that day. I found a couple in the shade of blue I like, but crap! They were expensive! One was $70, and that was half price. I know, you get what you pay for, but this is my first trip, it's not like I'm zipping all over the country. I found a few at Kmart for $35, color choices of red or black. This was a basic black for $15. The back where the extendable handle is has no padding or wall, so you can feel it through there. But still, more than adequate for now. Sold.
My primary concern was if I could fit my art portfolio and pages (11X17's) in there. Snug and perfect. I have always had problems with spatial relations. Now, I have an actual carry on bag that I could figure out what all could go it in while the rest goes with Mornblade and his lovely wife. He who travels fastest travels light. I would rather not have to fool with an extra bag, even though I'm allowed two free bags. I'm just too impatient. Besides, Mornblade will have to carry some of my stuff anyway (soap, shampoo, toothpaste, razors). If I can keep him to just one bag and my radio and I have one carry on and my pack, great.
So, I'm starting to compile the list. These are things that have to come with me in the carry on:
* Kylie (IBM S10 netbook) AND HER CHARGER!!!
* My digital camera AND ITS CHARGER!!!
* My GPS AND ITS CAR CHARGER!!!
* My cell phone AND ITS CHARGER!!!
* FERMATA'S (my Android tablet) CHARGER!!! Fermata will be riding with me in the pack on the plane.
* Waterproof MP3 player
* Some art boards and a supply of pens and such.
* Some immediate changes of clothes just in case.
* Swim trunks
* Water shoes
* Flip flops (they have thicker soles than the water shoes, which may come in very very handy)
* The combination lock I use for the public lockers when I go swimming
* The rucksack I keep my swimming stuff in when going to the locker room
* Laundry sheets. I want to put one in my carry on going to and one going from to keep everything smelling nice in there (P.S. works great if you put one in each shoe before you pack them up, too)
Among the concerns --
* My T square does not fit in the bag. It sort of does, but at an angle, and I'm afraid of it getting broken. I'm figuring that this weekend, I'll get a yardstick and cut off half of it (18") and it will fit just fine in the carry on. I only really need it as a straight edge for drawing panels.
* My regular MP3 player is toast. I'm debating getting another one to take in the rental car with me or just getting a bigger memory card for Fermata and building a playlist on her. I already take her with me almost everywhere. Fermata is currently rocking a 16GB which is already loaded up with a bunch of videos and reading material, leaving me with about 5GB left.
* Since I'll be in a completely new environment, I'm thinking a nightlight might be a good idea in case I wake up in the middle of the night and it takes me a minute to process I'm not at home at the moment.
* Helping keep the clothing portion manageable is that the house has a washer and dryer, so I can do my clothes and they won't start smelling like my feet before I go home.
* Selection of shirts, one pair of pants (basic black), one pair of sleep pants, and a couple of pairs of shorts. Should be enough.
* I'm taking an old ratty pair of sneakers with. I might be hitting Sea World, and they have a walk among the penguins exhibit. I love penguins. Penguins, however, have an attitude. My parents went on it, and each of them found a penguin that walked right up to them, looked them right in the eye, and pissed on their shoes before walking away like, "I don't sweat you." I'd rather not have that happen to my nice driving mocs, and I need to throw out those ratty sneakers anyway. So this will be their last hurrah.
* Clionona might not be there when I'm there, so I'm thinking of leaving my Griffyndor robes at home. Yeah, I can still get a picture, but it won't be the same without her. So that's a lighter portion.
* I'm thinking of getting another hat to help keep the sun off me when I'm waiting in line. I'll be taking my straw gambler for sure, but I'm thinking an outback hat (not a bucket hat) would be sensayche. I'll also be taking a couple of my watches with to coordinate with what I'm wearing. Yes, I have some fashion awareness. No black socks and sandals on me. Likewise, no white belt and white shoes (also known as "the full Cleveland").
I'm going to assemble other things I'm thinking of, and then I'll do a dry run of packing it in the carry on, and we'll see what we do next.