Peter G (sinetimore) wrote,
Peter G
sinetimore

Who's Your Daddy?

95% of politicians give the other 5% a bad name.

The latest example of this is one Alvin Holmes.  Holmes is a state rep in Ala-fuckin'-bama, specifically from Montgomery.  And his big mouth has landed him in hot water.

You have to keep in mind that Alabama is struggling with itself.  There are areas where the Old South rules, where people are poor, where the Century Of The Pacific rules, where every student in the Birmingham school district is provided with a netbook computer for homework and research.  No one is quite sure what to make of themselves or others.

Holmes was part of a debate going through the Alabama House that would have banned abortions after a fetal heartbeat is detected.  The bill was introduced by Mary Sue McClurkin, an R from Indian Springs.  Floor debates are about showmanship, and McClurkin compared her bill to Brown vs. The Board Of Education.  That's pretty tall.  Can anyone top that?

Sure!  Holmes stepped up and said, "99% of all of the white people in here are going to raise their hand that they are against abortion.  On the other hand 99% of the whites who are sitting in here now, if their daughter got pregnant by a black man, they are going to make their daughter have an abortion."

...uh...yeah...that's...uh...that's something, all right....

But wait, there's more!  He wasn't done rambling, he also said, "I will bring you $100,000 cash tomorrow if you show me a whole bunch of whites that adopted blacks in Alabama.  I will go down there and mortgage my house and get it cash in $20 bills and bring it to you in a little briefcase."

Pay up, sucker.

A Facebook page started called Faces Of Families In Alabama.  Started by Beverly Owings and April Hadden, the criteria was simple -- you had to be a white family that adopted black kids, and you had to have done it in the state of Alabama.  They started it on April 2, and as of now has more than 4,000 likes.  "Rep. Holmes' statements were very offensive.  He implied transracial adoptions do not happen in Alabama, which is far from the truth.  It's important to publicly counteract his statements with the truth.  If not, it could cause children of transracial families to feel inferior, and cause some families considering transracial adoptions to change their minds."

The founders and a bunch of their supporters held a press conference outside the Alabama capitol Wednesday.  Holmes stayed away and offered no comment to the media.

That's the problem with shooting your mouth off -- it leaves you with no way to respond.
Tags: can i get a fuckin a?!?, computers, destroying childhood memories, did not do the research, haven't we suffered enough, i'll drink to that, important life lessons, infernal gall, just desserts, let's talk about sex bay-bee!, news, no sir i don't like it, not this shit again, politics, portents of doom, punk as phuck, pure awesome, so much win, stupidity, technology is a beautiful thing, that had to hurt, things that make you go hmm, this ought to be interesting, wrong on every level, wtf
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 0 comments